Just wanted to share as I found it interesting. As I’ve taken apart different G.I. Joe figures from different periods of time, and some during the same series, the screwed have slight differences.
Fortunately my original Joe figures all had their original screws, so I haven’t had to get into the business of replacements. They are often rusty, which I’ve fixed with a simple vinegar bath, but they are always there.
There are online sellers peddling screws in bulk. But because the sizes are so specific, it’s not easy to just go to Home Depot and pick up some more. Getting new o-rings was simpler.
I’ve read in several places that you could mine old cassette tapes in order to get the screws. I tried this out, and found that the screws in my old TDK and Maxell tapes aren’t quite the right size. The heads are wider and the screw is thinner.
However, when I tried it out, it actually worked. It held a figure together. But I wouldn’t recommend doing it. The tightness seemed flimsy. You’re better off looking for screws online that have more weight to them.